Family Support Specialist
The primary purpose of the Family Support Specialist position is to provide education, information and support to families and children with health concerns the Brenner FIT program. The Brenner Fit Program is an evidence based program designed to help families with children ages 2 through 18 address health concerns together as a family. The family support specialist assigned to this position will case manage the children and families who are enrolled in the Brenner FIT Academy. This person will also work closely with other health department staff, the YMCA, other healthcare agency personnel, and school and community members involved with supporting the Brenner FIT Academy.
Position involves a high degree of verbal, computer and written skills for use in communication with community partners, staff and the community.
Employee will be provided with on-going education and materials necessary to fulfill the requirements of this position.
This is a part time (approximately 20 hours a week) position. One to Two evening nights per week will be scheduled and will be dependent on the Brenner FIT Academy schedule. All additional hours will be prescheduled and will occur during Wilkes County Health Department’s normal office hours between 8:30am and 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. However, this employee may be required to work additional evening or weekend hours as necessary to meet the demands of this position, and to ensure that business needs are handled in a timely and effective manner, which may include attending evening or weekend meetings, providing community education and etc.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Train with the Brenner FIT Team and follow the Brenner FIT Academy curriculum for teaching classes to families in the Academy program. Teaching topics include nutrition, activity, parenting and others.
- Provide routine support and guidance to children, teens and their families in individual and group sessions concerning health habit changes for the family. Program support may be provided via routine telephone contact with the families and also serve as a route to provide class reminders to the families. This position interviews patients and members of the family to obtain basic information about family structure, health change interests and challenges. Also this position, assist families with setting healthy goals for the entire family based off of the family’s health change interest and challenges; referring to mental health or medical services as appropriate.
- Responsible for completing Pre and Post assessment surveys and assessing each family member’s Pre and Post BMI.
- Responsible for maintaining case records and preparing monthly reports relative to contacts with families and outcomes while in program. Position will prepare and submit final report and data to the Brenner FIT academy. This position will be responsible for ensuring that all patient liability forms are signed, completed in their entirety and appropriately filed/stored for easy access by Wilkes County Health Department in the event that they become necessary.
- This position is responsible for attending all Brenner FIT Academy related meetings. This position will be responsible for determining and coordinating the Brenner FIT Academy schedule.
- Position will contact community partners to plan and organize program activities, such as cooking demonstrations, grocery store tours and Family Fun Nights. This position will also assist child care workers with planning and organizing activities for children while parents are in class.
- This position is responsible for marketing the Brenner FIT Program to the chosen target market. Marketing activities may include press releases, using the school messaging system, health fairs, community education, handing out pamphlets and etc. Additionally, this position is responsible for ensuring that media release is signed for all materials, such as photographs, voice recordings, interviews and videos, gathered during the duration of the Brenner FIT Academy; thus ensuring these materials are legally able to be used by Wilkes County Health Department for future Brenner FIT Academy marketing.
- This position will help to ensure the safety of all participants by notifying this position’s supervisor and the appropriate entity of any safety concerns that may pose a threat to the Brenner FIT families. Additionally, in the event that a safety issue arises, this position may need to make adjustments to the program plans to ensure the safety of the Brenner FIT families until any unsafe conditions are resolved.
- Position is responsible for performing other duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Computer and technology skills that will facilitate collaboration and partnerships.
- Comprehensive and collaborative community health promotion and resource development skills.
- Health communication skills and abilities.
- Ability to lead groups and teach others.
- Ability to inspire and motivate others.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance and as part of a team.
- Have knowledge of nutrition and benefits of physical activity.
- Be able to work during non-standard hours in order to accommodate the Brenner FIT Academy schedule, including 2 evenings per week.
- Hold a current North Carolina Driver’s License and have access to a vehicle for work related transportation.
Required Minimum Training
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Nutrition, Social Work, Exercise Science or Health Promotion from an appropriately accredited institution and two years professional experience working with children and families; Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a closely related field and three years professional experience working with children and families; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience working in multicultural environments and fostering inclusion.
- Experience in public health or community health outreach and facilitation.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English would be preferred.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to Jenn Wages at firstname.lastname@example.org
“AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”
*THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY*