Want to learn how you can enjoy pasta, rice, fruit, potatoes, and even birthday cake without consequences? Wilkes County Health Department has a program just for you!
Our program has four main components:
- One on One session with a Nurse. This includes information on:
- Insulin and medications
- Checking blood sugars
- Complications/reducing your risk
- How to cope on sick days
- Signs of low blood sugar
- Exercise…and more!
- One on One session with a Dietitian. You will hear about:
- Good fats and bad fats
- Carbohydrate counting
- Cholesterol and blood pressure improvement
- Getting to a healthy weight
- Reading food labels…and more!
- Diabetes Class. You’ll learn about:
- How to fit all foods into your diet (that’s right, even birthday cake)!
- Monitoring blood sugars
- Managing stress and the effects of stress on blood sugar
- Goal setting, problem solving….and more!
- Follow up
- Additional sessions with the Dietitian
- We also offer “Defy Diabetes” a monthly support group free of charge.